- The share of people dissatisfied with cycling lanes was highest in South West England (38%) and lowest in North East England (22%).
- The share of people dissatisfied with buses was highest in South West England (28%) and lowest in London (7%).
This chart looks at the percentage of people in England in 2019 who were dissatisfied with local bus and train services, as well as local provision for walking and cycling.
Subjective satisfaction ratings are associated with peoples’ ability to travel to work, public services (such as school, hospital and parks) as well as social events and leisure activities. These are all aspects of life that are important for good mental health and wellbeing.
On average, the dissatisfaction ratings in England are 21% for local bus provision, 16% for local train provision, 34% for provision of cycling lanes and 15% for walking provision. These rates vary by region.
- In all regions outside London, people are more likely to be dissatisfied with their local bus provision than trains, walking or cycling provision. This ranges from 28% of people dissatisfied with bus services in South West England to 19% in North East England. In London only 7% were dissatisfied with bus services.
- People are most likely to be dissatisfied with train services in South West England (21%) and least likely to be dissatisfied in London (12%).
- 38% of people in South West England are dissatisfied with the provision of local cycling lanes, compared to 22% of people in North East England.
- People are most likely to be dissatisfied with walking provision in the East of England (19%) and least likely to be dissatisfied in Yorkshire and the Humber (13%).
Perceived quality of public and active transport, as measured by subjective ratings, can determine people’s willingness to use a mode of transport. Greater investment in public and active transport systems, as well as complementary policies that support those transport modes, are needed.
- The survey questions are asked of all respondents, not just those who use the services.
- The category ‘local trains’ includes train, underground, light rail and tram services.
Source: Department for Transport, National Travel Survey, 2019